Bring on the Gemstones!
Gemstone jewelry continues to be a popular addition to any jewelry box. Whether you’re shopping for a gemstone based on your birthday, the folklore of their healing powers, or simply drawn to a favorite color, gemstone jewelry is beautiful and can be worn day and night.
Here are a few tips for evaluating gemstone quality:
- Color is king. There are several factors that make up the color quality of a gemstone. However, traditionally darker tones are graded as better stones. That being said, some customers prefer lighter gemstones that show more sparkle.
- Uniform color. Top gemstones, when examined from both sides on a white piece of paper show consistent color. The value of a gemstone increases with consistent color.
- Size. The size includes the weight and face-up diameter of the gem. Of course, as the size and demand increase, so does its value. Some gemstones are rarely seen in large sizes, while others such as quartz and topaz can be mined in thousands of carats.
The American Gem Society has compiled a list of the folklore healing properties of gemstones.
- Amber is known for its stress-relieving and calming properties.
- Ruby is known to increase integrity, devotion, and happiness.
- Amethyst is considered the gemstone of meditation, peace, balance, courage, and inner strength.
- Learn more about each gemstone’s lore at the American Gem Society.
A great way to celebrate your birthday, or the birthday of someone special.
- January: Garnet
- February: Amethyst
- March: Aquamarine
- April: Diamond
- May: Emerald
- June: Pearl
- July: Ruby
- August: Peridot
- September: Sapphire
- October: Opal
- November: Topaz
- December: Tanzanite
Like all jewelry, choosing a gemstone is meaningful.
With so much to consider, we recommend selecting a piece that is balanced with quality and style… and perhaps a few healing powers too!